stupid question

Bob Valentine bob at tecmark.com
Wed May 9 00:44:54 GMT 2001

In general, pin 1 is denoted by a mark (usually an indented dot) next to a
pin on the top of a chip.  The "top" of the chip is usually denoted by a
small notch
or groove in the top of the chip on one end.  Pin #'s run down one side and
up the other, in general.  A LM555 timer chip looks like this, looking down
on it

1 *U  8
2       7
3       6
4       5

\Other forms (like BGA, SMT, or QFP) may vary.

-> Bob Valentine
-> bob at tecmark.com