Very basic newbie question about A.I.R. pumps

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu May 10 07:55:37 GMT 2001

I don't believe the AIR pump is used in closed loop.  I know that years ago when I
was travelling 2 hrs to school, I ruined an engine in an 82 Cavalier because the
diverter valve was faulty.  The ecm continually richened the fuel mixture based on
added air in the exhaust, and the rings were eventually ruined.  The irony is that
I was in GM college at the time. ; )  But to qualify my reply, I haven't spent a
lot of time with AIR pumps since I started working in dealerships 10 years ago.
Most of the vehicles in Montana weren't equipped with them, as the air is clean
enough out there not to need them.  I do know that I've never replaced an engine
because an air pump had been removed.  AIR pump removal was not uncommon in MT,
since no self respecting farmer will pay money to replace something which he
doesn't need.  Im currently in a state that requires a visual inspection of
emissions systems, but no smog test.  So again, there are situations where the AIR
pumps get disconnected with no apparent ill effects.

FWIW.
Shannen