gm ecm/Carb Question

David & Cheryl Haggard david at newcovenant.com
Thu May 10 17:21:53 GMT 2001

   On the feedback carburetors, the ECM can not turn OFF the fuel. The
mixture control solenoid is used by the ECM to control the fuel mixture by
cycling it between two positions. In one position, the mixture would be too
lean. In the other position, the mixture would be too rich. The ECM cycles
the solenoid back and forth between them up to 10 times per second (as I
recall), and that produces the correct fuel mixture.
   I also seem to recall that when the system fails, it defaults to the rich
side, so the engine will at least run. This could be the reason the 350 runs
way too rich. The solenoid could be stuck, disconnected from the ECM, or the
ECM isn't operating it. Emphasis on COULD.
   If there is NO fuel at all getting to the carburetor's venturii, then you
have a plugged jet or fuel gallery, or the float valve is stuck closed.
   You could be getting fuel TO the carb, but not INTO the carb. Does fuel
squirt when you pump the throttle? Is there fuel in the carb bowl when you
take the top off?
   You say you have had this one apart? Did you put the fuel filter in
backwards?

   Lots of variables to deal with, with a carb, that will be solved when you
convert to TBI. But that has its own problems. I recommend you go to
http://www.helminc.com, and order a shop manual for your car. This will help
you considerably to learn more about how it all goes together, how it works,
and how to fix it.
   Also, if you upgrade to TBI with salvage parts, be sure you get ALL the
parts, including the ECM. Then get a shop manual for the car that the TBI
system cam from.

   You're on the right track. Don't let it discourage you. I've always
believed that the best way to learn is to get your hands in it.

Dave Haggard