Solenoid resistance values vs. 870 Spark Control

Matt Sandine msandine at purdue.edu
Sun May 13 03:22:22 GMT 2001

Yep Keith. Unfortunatly I disconnected the sensor too. 9.6 volts was on the
supply line from the ESC and that 9.6 volts was getting to the computer.
Ground was spot on. Just for fun, after pulling the entire harness from the
engine compartment and under the dash, I have come to one conclusion.

At first I thought about putting an opamp in the est circuuit because it
seems to be doing the exact opposite of what it should be, but I don't know
about the hows/whats of that. This makes more sense...

Since replacing the only 3 electronic components in this system again at the
same time (EST, ESC, ECM), it must be due to the fact that my EGR solenoid,
Air switch solenoid, or air control solenoid have been removed from the
harness. The key on/eng running charts show battery + in both conditions for
the air switch solenoid, I am going to go to the parts store and measure the
resistance of the coil. Put a resistor in place of the non existent solenoid
and do the same for the others (but I have to drop the voltage down to 1
volt for the EGR and air control...might have to run a relay to those 2
because they provide the engine with 12 volts with KOEOff but 1 volt KOEOn).
The only reason I might be wasting my time doing this is because all the
street rodders out there run without these emission devices. Maybe it is a
quirk in the 870 ECM's. I will keep you posted on my success/failures.
Thanks for the responses.