How does a DIS work ?

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Sun May 13 20:30:32 GMT 2001

In a message dated 05/13/2001 2:18:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Webmaster at lotus-carlton.fsnet.co.uk writes:

<< If anyone knows how the DIS works, rather than just guessing like me, could
 you please put me out of my mysery. >>
 Malcolb,

you are close. this is a simplified description. the REF line goes from DIS
to ECU and tells the ECU the RPM of the engine. the ESt line goes from ECU
back to DIS and tells the DIS when to fire the plugs, so this is how the
timing is altered from the default 10 degrees. the bypass line goes from ECU
to DIS and tells the DIS when to ignore the ESt line and use its own default
timing. When the bypass line is high, the DIS uses the ESt signal. WHen
bypass is low, the DIS uses the default internally generated signal. the
fourth line is just a common ground line between DIS and ECU. A word of
caution. the DIS has its own built RPM based advance curve. When in bypass
mode (bypass line low or timing connector dsiconnected), the DIS will advance
the timing by a fixed 11 degrees at 2000 RPM. this can confuse you if you
aren't expecting it. been there done that. All this applies to a distributor
system but I'm sure it has a similar function with DIS as well. Please
correct me if I'm wrong list. JW