Calpack verification

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Mon May 14 10:15:16 GMT 2001

Matt Sandine wrote:

> I had pulled a few 870 ECM's from a junkyard. The car is an '85
> Corvette...maybe I am using the wrong calpack. It shows 16042438.

Can't help with the CALPAK number.  However, all other applications of
the 6870 use something other than a 16042438.  Thus it is probably the
correct one.

> Doesn't the calpack just work in limp home mode? Say I unplug the O2 sensor
> for a minute so that I get no voltage to the computer. I would set a code.

That's not limp home mode.  Limp home mode is for when the CPU is out to
lunch.  Pulling the PROM and trying to run the engine will cause limp
home mode.

> Then I could check the timing there. If limp home mode timing was correct,
> then I can keep going from there.

The CALPAK doesn't control timing.  During limp home, the ignition
module does.