Code 51, 749 ECM

Barry Tisdale btisdale at cybersol.com
Tue May 15 12:45:16 GMT 2001

Can anyone tell me *specifically* what a Code 51 (PROM error) is?  Reason I
ask is that just recently some (not all) of my chips w/ just a single byte
change result in this code being set.  What worked fine before now doesn't.
 PROM images read back fine, contain the data they're supposed to, but I
get the rapid flashing Check Engine light & poor running.  Switching to a
'good' PROM (I've got a 16 position selector switch), then back to the
'bad' PROM results in proper running of the 'bad' chip.  I'm using 262k
PROMS, each has 16 x 16k programs within.

Where should I be looking for the problem?  Many more details if interested.

Thanks - Barry