LT5 DIS was Re: How does a DIS

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed May 16 05:44:31 GMT 2001

Bob Wooten wrote:

> I am not sure that I am completely falowing you here (or we are talking
> different languages, which is completely possible).  I was not looking @ the
> module @ all other than to figure out where it was.  what I was looking @
> was just the coil pack & the plate/holder that they sit on.  this just looks
> like a holder for the coils.  where as the 6 cyl dis assy (GN etc) looks as
> if the module & the holder are built into one.
>
> if someone were to want to build a V8 DIS (as I am) I need a way to hold all
> the coils.  this seems to be the way & I can not imagine that this holder is
> that expensive, even @ dealer prices.  I am sure as the other gent mentioned
> the module is rather expensive, but w/o the rest of the LT5 harness, ECM &
> the other module next to the head lamp, I bet that it does not do you any
> good.

It seemed like you were asking for a part number for the complete DIS system.

The "coil holder" is a needed part for the car to run, no?  Without it, do any of
the other parts do any good? ; )
It would be interesting to find out what that part alone is worth at the
dealership.  LT5 parts cen be extremely expensive, due to their relative rarity.
Many are out of stock entirely.  But do not believe that GM prices it's parts on
anticipated demand from over the counter sales.  Some of their prices make no sense
whatsoever.  Just the same, it's worth the phone call to check.  Sometimes there's
a great bargain to be found.

The 6 cyl DIS modules are different between Buick and 60 degree Cheverolet based
engines, due to the different ignition system designs.  The 4 cyl DIS module as
used in the Cavalier is similar to the 60 degree v6 DIS module.  Gutting 2 of these
units might provide an economical solution to your coil mounting dilemma.  These
parts are extremely common in many junkyards.

DIS and smart coils has been covered several times before.  No, DIS coils are not
smart coils.

Hose down engine = spray water on engine.  Don't spray water on an LT5 engine.  You
run the risk of damaging the ignition module.  If you're ever in the position to be
washing your ZR1, you might find this tip very useful. ; )

Shannen