2.5L Iron Duke MPFI conversion.

Joe Scruggs TA81Joe at home.com
Fri May 25 19:46:40 GMT 2001

I'm playing catch-up with the group and I have a little input on this thread
because of the death of Smokey Yunick this past weekend.  In the early
'80's, Smokey was doing research on what he called the "Hot Air Engine".  It
was the kind of work that a group like this would really appreciate.  I'll
save the discussion of his technique later, but engine that he used in his
research and fabrication was no other than the Iron Duke (151 cid) is
relevant.  He chose the Iron Duke made by Pontiac because he wanted to use a
4-cylinder engine and, although not widely known, the Iron Duke was the most
successful engine in automotive racing history (at the time).  I don't know
where he got his information, but he is (was) one of the most respected
engine builders and have no reason to question his facts.

Also, there is some confustion about the 301 and it's history.  From what I
understand, the Iron Duke was the basis of it - not the other way around.
Pontiac liked the success of the Iron Duke and they believed they could make
an awesome V-8 by simply doubling it.  They weren't modifying a Pontiac 350,
but a 151 (yes, the math works out that it should be a 302, but I suppose
that Ford and Chevy already had a 302, so they called it a 301).

This engine might be a very good engine to play around with for efi
projects, especially if you wanted to run a turbo.

Incidently, I owned a '79 301-4V in a Firebird with a 4-speed and had much
fun.  I outran many a Camaro with a 350 and auto trans.  I still have one
sitting on an engine stand.

Joe