2.5L Iron Duke MPFI conversion.

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Fri May 25 20:36:11 GMT 2001

I'm pretty darn sure the original work was on some Mopar 4 cylinder, and
when it came time to go looking for some funding GM came up with some money
and engines.
Ain't nothing special about an Iron Duke.
Things fell thru over licensing, and when there was no more R+D money the
program stopped.
Bruce
  **Best Damn Garage in Arcanum**

> That 4 cyl engine that Smokey built was really something.
> It was an idea along the same lines as the "100 mpg
> carburetor" articles that appear from time to time.  But
> Smokey's approach was a bit different.  Instead of trying to
> heat gasoline then introduce the resulting vapor into the
> intake charge, he drew fuel and air into the engine together
> then applied heat.  The intake charge was kept under
> pressure to prevent the expanding fuel from displacing the
> air that was with it.  The engine ran at some incredibly
> high temperatures and made 3 digit hp numbers.  IIRC, the
> test vehicle shown in the magazines was a Fiero.
>
> Shannen
>
> Bruce wrote:
> >
> > > I'm playing catch-up with the group and I have a little input on this
> > thread
> > > because of the death of Smokey Yunick this past weekend.  In the early
> > > '80's, Smokey was doing research on what he called the "Hot Air
Engine".
> > It
> > > was the kind of work that a group like this would really appreciate.
I'll
> > > save the discussion of his technique later, but engine that he used in
his
> > > research and fabrication was no other than the Iron Duke (151 cid) is
> > > relevant.  He chose the Iron Duke made by Pontiac because he wanted to
use
> > > 4-cylinder engine and, although not widely known, the Iron Duke was
the
> > most
> > > successful engine in automotive racing history (at the time).  I don't
> > know
> > > where he got his information, but he is (was) one of the most
respected
> > > engine builders and have no reason to question his facts.
> > >
> > > Also, there is some confustion about the 301 and it's history.  From
what
> > > understand, the Iron Duke was the basis of it - not the other way
around.
> > > Pontiac liked the success of the Iron Duke and they believed they
could
> > make
> > > an awesome V-8 by simply doubling it.  They weren't modifying a
Pontiac