GMECM Digest V2 #964

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Sun May 27 05:12:40 GMT 2001

The impedance of the cable is not too important
in this situation: low frequencys, high impedance
circuits, and of course no terminations.  The ideal
situation is both ends of the cable are tied first to
the same ground point.  Since the OX sensor is
grounded to the engine, the ECM should be
grounded there too.  That means NOT grounded
to the body of the car.  If your ECM is grounded to
the engine, you can tie the shield to the ECM gnd
and the engine gnd, since no outside currents
will be flowing through that path.  If the ECM has
another ground, probably the best setup would
be to ground the OX sensor at the engine end
only to at least shield that noisy environment.

A better solution is an OX sensor that is not
grounded to the engine.  Most other sensors
that used to be grounded to the case, have
migrated to this arrangement in recent designs.

Bruce Roe