Change oil soon (& then some)

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed May 30 02:24:41 GMT 2001

AFAIK, remembered from a discussion in a training class,
this is the answer.

Better grades of oil have allowed reduced engine clearance
specs.  In turn, reduced engine clearances require "thinner"
oil.  Oil of too high viscosity can cause the bearings to
burn out.  I don't know whether it's th inability of the oil
to carry heat away fast enough, or the inability of th oil
to provide adequate lubrication.

This can also happen in aluminum manual transmission
gearboxes when the required ATF has been unknowingly
replaced with traditional gear oil.

Shannen