NYT article - GM cylinder dropping

Marteney, Steven J. smarteney at xlvision.com
Wed May 30 20:10:59 GMT 2001

Which would imply it should be just as easy to turn the engine with or
without the spark plugs.  As the gas is compressed, the leak down negates
the compression.  No dice.  It doesn't happen that way, at least not when I
build my engine and was turning it on the stand.

This will be my last post on this, but in closing.  It takes energy to
compress a gas.  Conservation of energy says all that energy will be
returned, but it doesn't say in what form.  So to say the MOST efficient way
is to leave both the valves closed doesn't seem right.  There is more
pressure at the top of the piston in that case, which means more force on
the oil between the bearing and the rod, which means more "friction."  Now I
will admit all this may equate to a neglible difference between the two
ways.  Some day I hope to understand it all.

Back to GMECM topics!
Steve

BTW - Thanks for the info.  I really don't want to come off as a total jerk.