NYT article - GM cylinder dropping

Eric Deslauriers Eric.Deslauriers at oracle.com
Wed May 30 21:20:23 GMT 2001

I had a 73 Scout II with a 345 where the intake lifter on cylinder 3 wore
through causing the intake valve to never open. It was amazing how much oil was
sucked past the rings when the intake valve didn't open. Seems the rings prefer
to keep pressure in rather than vacuum. :)

I don't believe the 2 valves closed effect is what they are proposing due to
this effect unless they can time the valve close so that the piston was on the
upstroke. I can't see that type of precision with an oil pressure regulated
system, and it would certainly be negated based on cylinder pressure bleed over
time even if they could do it.

My (poor) $0.02 worth.

Eric D
88 K30 Blazer