Getting wet feet....junkyard TBI

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Thu May 31 04:17:58 GMT 2001

Just to set the record straight, it all varies by the actual distributor
your using, again this is one of the *no* univerally true answers.

If you look at the range of timing from EFI to Distributors, the EFI very
often exceeds the timing of carb'd engine.  ie it's hard to get 40+ degrees
of timing at cruise using a vac. advance and mechanical.   While the carb
were often used with enough gearing to get 2,500 to 3,000 rpm cruise speeds,
now 1,800 to 2,000 is common.   Not to mention an addition 10 degrees of
retard during over run.   Try building a dissy with 50d advance in it.  It
can be done, but be prepared to spend some time modifing things.

While maybe you need the fixed relationship of the mechanical advance at the
min setting, on some distibutors you'll want the advance locked at the max
advance posistion.

And on some distributors, the widths of the rotor tip, and cap terminal
won't even allow anything approaching 40d.

With all the possible timing errors possible, it pays to keep the timing as
accurate as possible, period.   You have to have a burnable mixture, ignited
at the right time to recover the energy of the reaction.
Bruce