The list is busy screaming ..

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Tue Sep 4 22:15:09 GMT 2001

Re: What went wrong with the Aussie WB Buy?

Shannen Durphey wrote:

> But keep in mind ...  The people who
> are really in the business of stealing projects will be quietly offering a
> product for sale while the list is busy screaming over this little publicity
> stunt.

Truer words were never spoken, Shannen.

Lets get one thing straight, and I won't be spending any more DIY bandwidth
on it. Shannen's edited text above epitomizes the true DIY problem. It's not
a petty squabble over whether you pay someone to solder up your kit, or
if you, IMHO, quite reasonably charge someone for the time you'd be otherwise
spending with your children, your dog, or the next DIY project - it's about
making things public so the DIYers can do just that, DIY.

And yes, I stand accused, and am guilty of stirring the coals over this
issue. I certainly "get it", but don't agree that there's a clear cut line
somewhere where you can pay a PCB manufacturer to make the boards, or you
can pay UPS to deliver the parts, but you can't pay a fellow list member
for helping them out at such a basic level like doing a solder job or
organising a group parts kit. It's just not possible to be so prescriptive
in life and I reject that attitude.

I totally accept and support, and actively participate in, the spirit of
DIY, and it really gets up my (not insubstantial) nose when people who
know better question my ethics and morals. If the group is to heal itself
from the pre-existing malaise that this episode has highlighted, then there
has to be a fostering of an environment where there is respect for what
people accomplish and bring to the group.

I agree that the best way to design a "product" is often with a closed
group of a few dedicated individuals who work long hours with a sense of
purpose that achieving an elusive goal brings. Their reward can never
be measured in dollar terms and to attempt to do so belittles them. I
also believe the same design can be done by sharing all the information
openly, freely and without favour.

I've probably said enough already, but I'll make the last point that I
don't hold any grudges against anyone who has, and will, disagree with
my stance on this - I'm happy to agree to disagree, and I'd like to get
back to the true DIY spirit where people actually post information (perhaps
in a sanitised form) that they have gleaned from the web, auto manufacturers,
or toiled long nights over.  Reading some of the early archives can be quite
inspirational in that respect.

Peter.

PS. I don't write this with the intent of fostering a continued flame
war. Think twice, and then think again before hitting the reply key.
I'm happy ONLY to reply off-list to any off-list flames.