Kernel + real-time OS semantics

Dig turbodig at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 03:18:35 GMT 2001

> rr wrote:
>
> > Several folks inquired about the internal works of
> the kernal. I've
> > also changed the subject line.
> >
> > BobR.
> >
> > ---------------- cut here
> -----------------------------------
> >
> > An ECM needs to run routines at a set pace. This
> is quite different
> > then the computer that you are using to read this.
> The computer on
> > your desk is event driven. That is it doesn't do
> anything unless
> > an outside influence causes it to. The mouse
> cursor moves when the
> > mouse is moved. Files are written or read from
> disk when you make the
> > request. Otherwise it just sits there waiting for
> something to do.
> >

> I could go on and on about this, but I won't since
> its not relevant to
> DIY-EFI.  Also, some of us may be reading this from
> a real time
> operating system such as QNX, or LynxOS.

Kernal, Kernel, Colonel, it's a potato/pototo thing.
I think we all know we're not talking about fried
chicken.

The real-time thing, too. Ask 10 different embedded
engineers what they think defines a real-time system,
and I defy you to stay awake. I can say this because
I was an engineer. (But I never got to drive the
train)

In all seriousness, Bob's done a great job in breaking
this down to a basic nuts+bolts level. While he con-
fined it to the '747, the basics here seem to apply
to all the P4 codebases I've looked at. The 16-branch
jump table is there in all of them.

The more I look at 'em the more the P4s look simply
like an evolution of the C3s, with more tightly
integrated ICs and slightly more CPU. The basics of
how it gets the job done seems to be the same for
both.

Later,

Dig