Kernel + real-time OS semantics

Pat Ford pat at istop.com
Wed Sep 5 13:46:02 GMT 2001

Dig wrote:

> > I could go on and on about this, but I won't since
> > its not relevant to
> > DIY-EFI.  Also, some of us may be reading this from
> > a real time
> > operating system such as QNX, or LynxOS.

 I was a QNX employee

> Kernal, Kernel, Colonel, it's a potato/pototo thing.
> I think we all know we're not talking about fried
> chicken.
>
> The real-time thing, too. Ask 10 different embedded
> engineers what they think defines a real-time system,
> and I defy you to stay awake. I can say this because
> I was an engineer. (But I never got to drive the
> train)

the definition for realtime that I worked from is a system is realtime
if the output has to be in a bounded time to be correct. i.e. if the
antilock brake controller start pulsing the brake after a collision, the
system failed.

> In all seriousness, Bob's done a great job in breaking
> this down to a basic nuts+bolts level. While he con-
> fined it to the '747, the basics here seem to apply
> to all the P4 codebases I've looked at. The 16-branch
> jump table is there in all of them.

 where is the jump table? (on which mask??) which vector holds the
address of irq1 ( the timer irq)

 does anyone have a list of what all the interrupt vectors are?
i.e. this is what I have worked with
FFF0	SWIVCT:	.word	SWIVCT
FFF2	TMRVCT:	.word	TMRVCT
FFF4	EXTVCT:	.word	EXTVCT
FFF6	ILL_OP:	.word	SWIVCT
FFF8	BUSVCT:	.word	BUSVCT
FFFA	COPVCT:	.word	BUSVCT
FFFC	CLKVCT:	.word	BUSVCT
FFFE	RSTVCT:	.word	BUSVCT

 does it look correct?

 what I think would be great is to pull together info and make a P4.inc
file that has the defines for registers, int vectors .... That would
help the disassemblies. I'll start trying to put one together today, if
no one else wants to