P4 registers

Malcolm Robb, LC 0112G Webmaster at lotus-carlton.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Sep 7 10:40:58 GMT 2001

Ludis is the guru on this sort of stuff.

What you need to do is take a look at the circuit diagrams on his site, and
compare them with a dissassembly of the code running in that ECU. For
instance, if a car has a fuel pump relay, look at the circuits to find
which chip drives the relay. Then look at the code, and see which bit or
bits of which register is being set. Once you establish that, you can be
99% certain

This task is relatively easy with discrete inputs and outputs (fans, relays
& switches), more complex with pulse width modulated outputs (like boost
solenoids) and very difficult with complex outputs, like spark and fuel
injectors. Data sheets for the chips you mention would solve all the
difficulties, but that ain't gonna happen (please someone prove me wrong)

I'm far from certain on this, but I suspect that most of the discrete
outputs in my car are coming from a PWM capable device. All they do is set
the duty cycle to either 0% (low/off) or 100% (high/on). Therefore, in one
application of the ECU a given register might simply be switching something
on or off, and in another application, the same register may be being used
in PWM mode.

The 45154 is reasonably well understood by looking at Ludis's circuits. It
has 8 input pins, and 7 output pins, plus a failsafe timer/counter which is
used to control the fan, and a VSS multiplexer which is used to select
between the two types of VSS sensor types. The chip is controlled via a
serial bus (called the SPI bus) from the main CPU. The CPU can read the
input pins and write the output pins via the SCI bus.

 My ECU doesn't contain either the 34984 or 988, so I can't say anything
about them.

Cheers,
Malcolm