Newbie introduction

Jay Vessels jwvess00 at home.com
Sat Sep 8 03:07:38 GMT 2001

Hi there!

Please allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Jay Vessels, and I have
recently joined this list.

I'm an electrical engineer by degree (BSEE from the University of Kentucky)
and a firmware engineer by trade.  I write fimrware for Lexmark inkjet
printers, so I have a good feel embedded, real-time systems as well as
closed-loop control systems.  After reading many of the articles on the
diy-efi site and others, I decided to join the list.

I'm not new to GM EFI systems or stuffing them onto other vehicles.  I am
new to chip-tuning, though.  I hope to learn more about the
electrical/firmware side of the system, as well as learn how others have
solved the problems I've had to hack through or am still wondering how to
handle.

My truck, a 1982 Chevrolet S-10 came with a 2bbl. Rochester carburetor but
now has a (mostly-stock) TBI system for a late-80s 2.8 truck (1227429 ECM).

My father's 2-door '86 Caprice had a 305V8/Q-jet, but now has a 350V8
"Targetmaster" crate engine and a TPI system from an '85 IROC.  I'm
currently working on converting it to use a MAP system.

My 1979 Chevrolet Malibu Classic 2-door has a 350V8 from a '71 Impala.  The
'86 TPI system is waiting to go on when things slow down.

I'm currently working on installing an as-stock-as-possible TBI system from
a '89 Caprice (305V8 TBI/700-R4/Federal emmissions) on my cousin's '85
Caprice (305V8/Q-jet).  I'm also itching to tinker with my daily driver, a
'94 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Convertible, as time permits.

Most of this stuff can be seen at:
http://www.vessels-clan.com/jay

Thanks for letting me ramble,
Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1994 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Conv., 3.1V6 MPI