FCB Question

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Sat Sep 8 12:46:42 GMT 2001

Bruce wrote:

> I thought FCB meant Factor Coverted to Binary.
> Must be wrong, what does it mean?.

Form Constant Byte

DB or Define Byte is used by most assemblers for the
same thing.

> In the below doesn't the $ mean it's a hex value?.

Prefix $ means hex (as does prefix 0x or suffix H)

>      FCB     $89     ; 0.723       1.384      136

The comments (text including and following the colon)
are talking about the interpreted value(s) for the byte.

In Motorola speak they also use % as a binary prefix so

  $89 = 0x89 = 89H = %10001001

The 0x for the hex prefix was probably first used in the
C language.

Peter.