1-bar to 2-bar conversion

Toby Corkindale tjcorkin at sa.pracom.com.au
Thu Sep 13 01:10:19 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I'm currently running one of my cars, a Holden VN Commodore, on a modified
and supercharged V6 engine.
The engine's the australian version of a buick engine, 3.8 litre, and runs
with a Delco '808 (i think thats right?) using MAP and DFI.

It was tuned up originally to use the stock 1-bar map sensor, but obviously
this isn't ideal given the blower!

I am interested into getting into reprogramming and tuning the car myself,
and i'm fairly cluey when it comes to working stuff out, so I thought it'd
be worth a try.

I understand that major tunes are best done by professsionals, but i'd like
to be able to make tweaks and stuff myself. Anyway, I don't know if its
practical, but I'd like to try and get a 2-bar setup for my car.

I have the sensor, but i'll need to remap the ECM settings; i have assumed
that i'd be able to take the existing settings, and interpolate from them to
a 2-bar version.. Do you think this is practical?

Apparently the existing setup I have (which was done professionally,
although i wasn't really satisfied with it) basically just guesses at
whether or not its under boost based on whether the map sensor has been
maxed out, and then dumps fuel based on rpm. (since rpm is proportional to
boost..)
ick. doesn't sound right to me.

Anyway, what do you think my chances are, with a laptop, eeprom writer and
an ALDL cable?
Would anyone know where i could find an appropriate memcal definition file,
and/or an example memcal bin set up for a 2bar map sensor?

Thanks,

Toby