Know ... (off topic, delete if you don't want to read)

Jeremy Gonyou jeremygonyou at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 16:10:58 GMT 2001

I'm voting for ECMnut in 2004...

Somebody has to ask the question, "Why did this
happen?"  Now is not the time for nationalism.
Somewhere along the line the US did something to
really piss these guys off.  18 guys were willing to
sacrifice their lives to make a point.  And yet the
"point" isn't even an issue.  A lot of us here are
engineers and technicians.  We know that when
something goes wrong, we need to do a root-cause
analysis.

Seeing a series of dead Middle-Eastern men on the news
won't ease the sense of violation.  All the heightened
security in the world can't stop terrorism.  No amount
of flag-waving will bring back the thousands of
victims.

There's an answer somewhere, but it doesn't involve 40
billion dollars, government intelligence agencies, or
military action.

I applaud President Bush for his sincerity.  I think
we can trust him as a leader.  I applaud the public
for pulling together, giving blood, and making
donations.  But do you think these offerings are
partially out of guilt?  Do we realize that we are
partially at fault?

Before you raise your flag and start singing "God
Bless America" ... try to consider what "America"
means today.  This is a tragedy of *humanity*.
The media will try to put this in a box.  They will
try to make it a case of good versus evil.  They are
being VERY sensational.  The pictures on the news make
you want to cry.  They make you want to kill.  Do NOT
let emotion cloud the issue.

This tragedy should serve as a wake-up call to us all.
It's indicative of a problem that runs *much* deeper
than airport security.  Don't let it be trivialized or
demeaned.  Thousands of our friends, neighbours, -and
even some people we didn't like- were killed.  If we
really, truely, honesty cared ... we'd find out why.

Jeremy

Alright, go ahead.  Crucify me...