Opinions wanted ( analysis of the effects of spark advance va riation on vacuum)

cmillard at crutchfield.com cmillard at crutchfield.com
Fri Sep 21 18:11:06 GMT 2001

Hi Bruce,
I only changed the Closed throttle spark settings (not very scientific of me
- I'll do better next time.)
I let the PCM control fueling via O2s, IAC, etc, left VE alone, so I did not
have as much of a control group as I should have.

My methodology (last nights tuning). I flashed the pcm, let car run 5
minutes, recorded 5 minutes worth of data, turned off, reflashed, started
again, etc... The temp was consistant 166F-173F.  I did not drive the car in
between flashes last night, as I ran out of time (Girlfriend needed company
:-)

I will repeat the experiment in open loop, disable the IAC (although the IAC
vacuum adjustments feel like they should be taken into account.)

Cruising is the next step, baby steps I try to tell myself...

Hmm.. Plug gap.. I have a virgin set I can install at factory spec.. I'm
running 1 step colder due to 11.4:1 compression, I will go to stock
temperature if anyone feels that is a factor, I would like to avoid
detonation, and I know the colder plug always helped from my blown days..

Gotta run to a meeting (darn work..hehe)
Keep 'em coming (Thank You!),
-Christian