tbi and supercharger

KasaRyan at aol.com KasaRyan at aol.com
Wed Sep 26 02:33:52 GMT 2001

There are about 3 ways to get a sc engine to play with tbi.

1. - The right way - use an ecm set up to do 2 bar map, and use a 2 bar map
sensor.  Does anyone know if I can use the 7427 or 8625 to do this?  Will the
sy/ty ecm control a 4l60e?  This is what I would like to do on my 93 truck.

2. - I'm pretty sure B&M and Whipple both use a 1 bar calibration with the
stock map sensor mounted on the boost side.  When above 100kpa, the spark is
dropped, and the extra fuel comes via the way of a 1:1 FPR.  ie 5 psi boost
gives you 5 psi fuel pressure increase.  If the stock FP is around 10-13, and
atm is 15 psi ish.  Then if you add say 7 pounds of boost, you will get about
50% more fuel.  The fueling isnt too bad, but then you need an external box
to turn the timing back when under boost.  Both of them use a water heated
TBI mounting - is TB icing really that likely, or is it increased with the
vacuum drawn on the units?

3 - use a 2 bar map sensor on a 1 bar application and halve the inj/pphr in
the ecm.  This way when the engine is at 100 kpa, it thinks it is at 50 kpa
and uses maps accordingly.  then you set maps up to account for the doubling
of map.  This reduces resolution, and the dumber your pcm is, the more it is
apparent.  It does allow control of fuel and timing under boost though.

BTW - when holley bought b&m superchargers they added $1000 to the cost of
the 88-95 truck kits.  Does anyone know why, or just because they can.  Also,
say a person was to buy a standard 144 blower, could you get the pulleys and
brackets to allow it to be used on the TBI trucks.  Also, boost on a
roots/screw should go up linearly with RPM with constant VE.  A centrifugal
should go up exponentially with the square of RPM.  This is what makes them
harder to size.

Does Carl Summers have anything to input on this conversation?

Thanks for listening!
Ryan Hampl - a K-State Grad!  kasaryan at aol.com
139 Hoover CT  Controls Engineer
Salina, KS  67401