[Gmecm] ZZ4 and Accel DFI

Carlos A. Martinez txfieros
Wed Apr 13 03:47:28 UTC 2005

Don't know if anyone on here has used one of Accel's DFI systems?  I
got some questions about it.  I did an engine coversion on my '88 Fiero
about a year ago.
The engine used is a new SBC crate ZZ4 with Sallee chevrolet installing
the LT4 HOT cam in in and the GMPP 1.6 Roller rockers.  Many people
have used this engine in this configuration with great success in
Fieros, so I decided to go with that.  I didn't want to go with a stock
Camaro/Firebird TPI system because the runners and everything about it
is too tiny to really handle the almost 400 horsepower generated by
this engine.  So the Plug and Play 350 Accel DFI system fit the bill.
At the time that I bought it they (Accel, by talking to them) claimed
it was only designed to work with a normal 350, and that using on a ZZ4
would require reprogramming the computer quite a bit.  That was fine
with me I'm up for a challenge anyway, and am pretty familiar with how
and why engines works, and what to do and not to do for the most part.
Reading through Accels like 50 page manual on the DFI system is a great
additional learning for me as far as tuning is concerned.  Since then,
from what I see on Accels website, thee new 350 plug and play system is
programmed to work with a stock ZZ4.  I have emailed them regarding
obtaining that ECU file if possible, if indeed it is different than the
one my older (same Gen 7+) ECU carried back then.  They have not
responded in over a week, which is strange because their tech support
was always excellent whenever I had any questions.

My current problem is that it runs extremely rich.  All the injectors
are verified to be OK by Accel, I had them check'em for good measure.
Even with the pressure turned way down to like 30 psi i still runs
rich.  Also, the timing is obviously totally wrong for this engine.
More than about 1/2 throttle at over 2000 rpm causes some serious
knocking so I assume it's advancing too much.  The Plug and play
computer is not reprogrammable (timing, injector pulse width, etc.)
without what I understand is some "standard key" or "pro key" that you
hook up to your PC allowing more extensive programming of the ECU.
Before go all nuts with all this, I wanted to see on this list to see
if anyone has a ECU file for an Accel Gen 7+ ECU that they are using
with success on a ZZ4 in my configuration.  ZZ4's are pretty popular so
I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask first before attempting any
reprogramming on my own.

This is one issue I want to tackle.  The second issue is to figure out
why the darn engine vibrates at almost any RPM.  I still need to check
compression.   All external electronics have been checked, double
checked and or replaced.  The vibration seems to get worse at about
1800 rpm gets really bad (engine is on solid mounts, can't do it any
other way) at about 2300 rpm or so, and sorta smooths out (harmonics
with the chassis or something) and gets to a faster  vibration over
3500 rpm.  Many have told me it's the flywheel, but It really cannot be
(doubtful at the very least), because there is only ONE flywheel you
can use for this engine conversion and it's made by Centerforce for
V8Archie (from who I got the conversion kit)  It is an externally
balanced flywheel with drilled divets on the inside of it to counter
weight it.  I has the same number of divets in it as all the other
Centerforce flywheels, so it would be doubtful it is unbalanced.
Unless the divets were accidentally drilled to a different depth on my
flywheel for some odd reason.
I've adjusted and installed roller tip rockers before on my Fiero when
it had the 2.8 V6  and it was simple, you just needed to make sure they
were turned in 1.5 turns from no lash with the lifter in the lowered
position.  It worked fine.  How much of a role could the rockers being
in or out of adjustment play in my problem (possible bad cam ??).  Most
have told me not much.  From what I've heard the GMPP full roller
rockers only need like 1/2 turn from zero lash or something like that.
If someone could enlighten me on this matter it would be great.

This thursday, hopefully I'll get a chance to lift the car up and pull
the plugs and check the compression on this thing.  I can't wait to get
this as smooth as silk.  Other V8 Fiero owners with the same engine
tell me it's as smooth as silk.  I just with mine was.

Thanks,
Carlos