[Gmecm] ALDL MPG Information

Gary Evans gary
Thu Dec 1 22:40:15 UTC 2005

You can calculate MPG quite accurately from the values available in
the ALDL stream.

Since you have a vacuum referenced fuel pressure on TPI cars, the
injector flow rate is fairly constant, and the following calculation
should be accurate enough for casual use. You're not going to create
a lab instrument with this, but it will be the equal of typical
factory fuel economy computers.

You need three variables from ALDL:

BPW
RPM
MPH

and two constants

Injector flow rate (volume per ms)
Number of injectors on engine

WIth this information, you can calculate as follows:

BPW * injector flow rate * # of injectors = fuel per rev

then:

fuel per rev * RPM = fuel per minute

finally:

fuel per minute / MPH / 60 = fuel per mile.

Cram it all together and flip it over to get miles/gal and you get:

MPH / (BPW * injector flow rate * # of injectors * RPM * 60) = Miles
Per Gallon

You will need to make sure the units (ms/sec/min/hour, etc)  all line
up when you do the calculation, but that is how it is done. You will
probably also also need a fudge factor to dial in the calculation and
account for variances in the fuel system components.

In the 80's Jaguar used a purely analog version of this idea for the
in-dash display. It didn't even receive data from the computer,
rather it was wired directly to the injector harness. Aside from
normal car-to-car variance in manufacturing tolerances, it was
acceptably accurate. You could theoretically do the same thing with
your micro-controller box by tapping the injector harness, VSS and
TACH leads to accomplish the calculation thing without ever touching
ALDL at all.

-Gary