[Gmecm] TPS for diesel

Jason M. galaxiecustom500
Wed Dec 21 00:15:32 UTC 2005

Maybe I should have been more clear, it's based on the gas engine, as in
they started off with the general dimensions of the gas engine, like the
bell housing and covers but changed the rest for diesel use.

By no means did I mean to imply they were just a gas block with different
heads running diesel.

Honestly I really don't know much about them.  Was always told the gas heads
fit the block and that externally they were pretty much the same
dimensionally.

I actually own a former diesel '82 caprice.  Original owner blew the engine
with 200 miles on it, then had the dealer put in a gasoline engine.  The
replacement engine came from a junkyard, 1973 4bbl from a delta 88.
Original transmission was replaced in the late 90's.  I put in a 700r4 last
winter with that adapater summit sells.  It's not the best adapter though,
hard to get the torque converter centered.  Gets the job done.  Next summer
I'll be putting in a different 700r4 and a 305, working on getting a TPI
system together for it.

This 82 caprice now has around 250,000 miles on it, has been through 3 gauge
clusters (odometer failed on one fuel gauge on the other) and last summer it
went from a 4 door sedan to a two door "el caprice" with a 4 inch chopped
top.  Looks freaking sweet.

And so this isn't so far off topic, anyone know where or what the ecm looks
like in a caprice diesel?  I've had the dash out of the car but didn't see
anything that looked ecm-ish.  Every so often the check engine light comes
on, and the car does have a ALDL.  Glanced over some wiring diagrams for the
85 caprice diesel, looked more like it just has a string of sensors but no
real ecm.

Jason McNamara
1965 galaxie 500, 352v8, project, currently sinking into the yard.
1982 "el caprice", 350 oldsmobile, custom, winter beater, truck and drag car
all in one.
1985 caprice, 500 cadillac, will be using the $120 aluminum adapter to put a
700r4 behind it
1992 caprice, 305TBI, summer car, 23 mpg city 29 highway.  Occasionally see
low 30's
1973 honda cb350, 23mpg city wasn't enough, 55-60 mpg is much better and
bikes are fun