[Gmecm] TPS for diesel

burntkat at sc.rr.com burntkat
Wed Dec 21 07:10:28 UTC 2005

The thing is-- when I go diesel I'll be getting 2-4 times the fuel
economy. So while diesel costs the same as gas, I'll be using approx
60% less of it.

But here's the thing-- I won't be using diesel. I'll be going
alternative fuel-- that's right- WVO/BD. In my climate I can literally
run on pure WVO <tropics-- low-temp gelling isn't a concern>. But I
drive around a bit, so I'll build my system to preheat the WVO tank
and be able to drive anywhere a normal vehicle can.

Why all the effort? I own my vehicles. I can't see buying a new
vehicle. I can't see "keeping up with the joneses"-- because the
joneses are idiots who're in debt up to their foreheads and don't have
time to relax and enjoy life.

Why not buy new? Noone makes what I want-- midsize SUV with diesel
engine, solid axles, no computer controls.

Also, going diesel will improve my towing capacity owing to the
superior torque characteristics of all that heavy reciprocating mass.

You say there's more to a towing capacity than engine-- and you're
right. Cooling system has long since been upgraded, as has the
transmission and transfer. Axles will soon be Dana44s front and rear
out of a fullsize Wagoneer... which brings me to my next point:

If I stay gas, I'm looking at continued $5000/year fuel bills-- and
I'll also have to regear my axles to enable the 12% larger tires to
spin at the proper RPM to take load off the engine and transmission
and get some of my fuel economy back. $1500 per vehicle for R&P work,
and I've got two vehicles this needs to be addressed on, with a third
probably in the wings-- wife wants to mod her Jeep as well <we are
GirlScout/Boyscout types who never grew up-- lots of the Explorer gene
in us, see>. For less than that-- probably $500/vehicle, honestly-- I
can switch them to diesel. Gain easier/safer fuel storage,
dramatically increased range, and the like. Plus I don't have to
regear the axles. That saves me $1000/vehicle right off the bat.
Truthfully, though-- if I weren't getting a steal on the motors, I'd
not be able to do this so cheaply. I got lucky :)

Plus-- the next time the petro companies take all the gassers for a
ride, I won't be effected. I will pour another 5 gallons of WVO mix
into the tank and drive for a week- and laugh all the while.

As a happy side effect, burning WVO is better for the engine, better
for the environment, and better for the nation. The only "bad" thing
about it is I'll have to go to the local restaurant and empty out the
drum every week or so. The exercise will do me good. ;)