[Gmecm] Hard to fix oil leaks from around a 1988 2.8L oilpumpdrive gear

Phillip Kuhn pmkls1
Mon Dec 26 18:29:33 UTC 2005

I'm sorry I didnt see the original post, but it
appears that somebody is looking for the o-ring for
the oil pump drive for a 60 degree chevy 6 cylinder. I
dont know what dealer you have been to but if they
dont know what you are talking about and dont have at
least 20 of those things in stock then I wouldn't go
there for anything. I was a GM dealer technician for
several years at every GM brand there is and not a
single one of them didnt stock at least a half dozen
of those seals. The same part number fits pretty much
every 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4 ever made from the 80's to
present. The G.M. part # is 10477565 and they usually
run about 50 cents a piece. Those things have always
leaked ever since the beginning of time. I never did
establish a preference on wether or not to use sealer
when installing the drive and I installed them both
ways with about the same success. If you install one
without sealer use a little lube to keep from tearing
the seal on installation. The only problem that
happens occasionally is that those oil pump drives
tend to get stuck in an engine with high miles that
has a little varnish on the inside. When they stick
like that it can be a bit tough to remove them and
sometimes during removal it is easy to mess up that
plug on top and they will leak oil if those plugs dont
seal properly. If that happens you can go the cheap
route and fill the top with silicone and that usually
works fine. But the entire oil pump drive assembly
isnt that expensive at about $40 if I remember
correctly. Hope this info helps,

Phil