[Gmecm] ethanol

Tom Prucha tprucha
Tue Jul 19 02:30:11 UTC 2005

Hello Kelly,

Ethanol is also corrosive, so you'll need to make sure there is no
rubber or aluminum that comes in direct contact with the Ethanol. E85
cars often have Teflon liners in their fuel lines.

E85 is also not very well regulated for content.  It is usually
somewhere between 70 and 85% Ethanol.  The rest is gasoline and up to 1%
water.  This makes it difficult to calibrate without an alcohol content
sensor, such as the new FFV's have, even when a permanent switch from
gasoline to E85 is performed.

Stoich for gasoline is around 14.7:1.  Stoich for pure Ethanol is around
9:1.  Luckily Ethanol is a little more dense than gasoline so this added
fuel requirement is offset a little bit.  However, you'll still need a
lot more E85 flow than you needed gasoline.  This might require a larger
fuel line and fuel pump, and probably larger injectors, depending on the
capacities of your original hardware.

I'll send you a small spreadsheet I made to calculate the added amount
of fuel you need as a guideline, but you'll still need a wideband O2
sensor to get everything right.  I am planning my own conversion of a
Buick SFI 3.8L intercooled turbo car, so perhaps we can learn a few
things together.  Here are some links I've accumulated that you might
find helpful:

http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy03osti/32206.pdf
http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php
http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/progs/related2alt.cgi?29