[Gmecm] ethanol

Tom Prucha tprucha
Wed Jul 20 04:33:22 UTC 2005

You shouldn't need one if you plan to run pure Ethanol and you're sure
of the consistency, unless you want to switch back-and-forth between
Ethanol and Gasoline.

An alcohol content sensor is a.k.a. FFV sensor, a.k.a. fuel composition
sensor. Here is some public information I found on a Siemens Sensor, but
it look like to you'll need to contact Siemens for more information:

http://www.siemensvdo.com/default.aspx?menu=PT_sensor_for_fuel

This link also has some content about the sensors in a section called
"FFV sensors".  One of the manufacturers shown there might have more
information available online:

http://www.spie.org/app/Publications/magazines/oerarchive/january/goniometric.html

I didn't find as much public information as I expected on the
composition sensors, but then I didn't look very hard. To run one of
these, it seems the ECM will need an extra input, and some software to
read it, and be able to change the calibration on-the-fly as a function
of the reading.  I don't plan to run one, but I do plan to run a
wide-band O2 and watch for anomalies after I fill the tank.

Tom