[Gmecm] 1227747 rpm vs gear table

David Haggard david
Wed Jun 8 13:01:27 UTC 2005

Darryl--

Thanks for the insight. But like I said, I find the light just plain irritating, and basically useless because of where it is located on my dash (far right, and out of line of sight when driving).

>From what you just described, I now understand what that table is for that I never used. (The mph/rpm ratio table.) When I started, the TunerCAT definition file for '747 didn't have that table defined yet. I never saw it until I downloaded an update after I had already disabled the light. That table wasn't right for my car, because the '747 bin I started with was one from Edelbrock for a different model. My car originally had the 1228063 ECM, and the TunerCAT definition file for it was definitely lacking in the settings I needed. My 305 build is so radical (1.25 horses per cubic inch without power adders) that I had to use a combination of TunerCAT and WinBin to get it right. Even had to build my own WinBin definition file to get all the settings I needed. And even with that, the only way I found to get a stable idle was to force it to open loop idle by setting the open-loop idle threshholds at 1175/1200 rpm, and opening up the throttle plate to allow less than ten IAC counts at idle. That gives me a lopey but stable idle at 700 rpm, where a closed-loop idle will hold for a few seconds, then try to stall, then jump up, then settle in again. Even if I shot for a high idle speed.

But I digress....

I haven't used RT Tuner. I've built my car on extremely limited budget. Get the parts as I can save up for them and buy them basically one at a time. Took me 9 months to build the motor that way! So while RT Tuner is a great piece of software, I haven't been willing to spend another nearly two hundred bucks to get the software and the ROMulator. So I did it the "old fashioned" way like Bruce Plecan described. Like him, I've burned about 100 chips to "get it right," and another 300 to "get it perfect."

Glutton for punishment-- Now I'm looking at building an LS2 copycat starting from a 350, to get the torque that the 305 lacks.

David