[Gmecm] EGT tuning (was BIG CAM TUNING)

Jay Vessels jay
Sun Jun 19 02:56:20 UTC 2005

Hi there!

A gas analyzer would be the best bet but it's not as fast as a WB so
you're probably going to only use it for a dyno with a brake.  EGT is
okay but you can't tell whether you're way rich or way lean since EGT
can rise on either side of good.  Considering EGT thermocouples are
cheaper than WB sensors, I'd guess that if they were really accurate the
OEMs would have jumped on them by now.

Just saw in a recent issue of Hot Rod magazine about a company selling a
1 WB-per-cylinder kit in a resonable (for WB) pricing schedule.  Still
pricey for the homebrew but if you have a dyno in your shop it's
probably justifiable and within reach.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 carb. (for now)