Old Fashioned Tuning - Re: [Gmecm] EGT tuning (was BIG CAM TUNING)

bcroe at juno.com bcroe
Mon Jun 20 01:59:03 UTC 2005

19 Jun 2005  DV Fagan <dvfagan at yahoo.com> writes:
> Why not go to a drag strip, put a time only slip on it
> and make repeated runs advancing the distributor 2
> degrees per run until the et's fail to decrease.

That assumes your advance already has the ideal curve.
You might improve acceleration in one area while making
it worse in another with a net  zero change that way.

Instead I'd log period between sparks, which is
the reverse of sparks per sec.  This will of course
decrease as you accelerate.  Subtract the latest
period from the previous one at each rpm to get the
the first derivitive, Acceleration.  Plot A vs rev/sec.
NOW move your whole curve forward and back a couple
degrees, and plot those on the same graph.  You
may see that a couple degrees more advance is
better at some rev/sec, a couple degrees retard is
better at other rev/sec, no change other places.
Now reshape your advance curve for the best of
each to be optimum everywhere.

Likely taking the periods something like 20 sparks
at a time will be more practical.

The same problem comes with just varying fuel
pressure.  Bruce Roe

Then