[Gmecm] L31 Questions part 2

Jake Tucker jktucker
Mon Mar 14 19:46:35 UTC 2005

Michael,
	I'm not very knowlegable on the hardware spec's, but I can
answer a few of your questions.  I am in the process of putting one of
these injection setups on an older 350.  If you have the vortec heads
already, everything else needed is a direct bolt-on.  With the
popularity of the vortec heads, you can now get TPI, TBI, and carb
intakes for those motors.  I expect that you can probably get the Accel
and Edelbrock EFI systems that would bolt up as well.  So to answer your
question on whether you can swap out the injection setup, I would say
that shouldn't be a problem.  You also get a roller cam and crank and
CAM sensors by buying these motors, along with several of the required
sensors regardless of which injection setup you use.
	From what I've read before on other MAF (Mass Air Flow) systems
is that the MAF sensor itself may be the weak link in providing a lot
more horsepower.  The nice part of the MAF systems is that they adjust
to new combinations without as much programming (I have a MAF TPI setup
running a '65 327 w/ '202 valves and a 300hp cam with no re-programming
other than VATS).  There are a lot of people who don't like the MAF for
the cost of the sensor, the air restriction caused by the sensor, and
the difficulty in mouting the sensor.  I've read conflicting reports on
how much the MAF sensor restricts the flow, but my 327 will rev up to
5500 RPM's before it starts looking for more air.  It definitely revs
better than the Holley Pro-jection that was on it before, but that may
have been due to the poor tuning on the Pro-jection.  The vortec MAF
sensors should benefit from 10 years of development, but I don't really
know any specifics.

Jake Tucker