[Gmecm] More L31 questions- crank and cam position sensor.

Jake Tucker jktucker
Fri Mar 18 02:27:33 UTC 2005

Robert,
    I just converted a '75 350 engine that already had the vortec heads
to the vortec injection setup.  In my case, I had a motor with a cracked
block to get all the necessary parts from.  As mentioned before on the
list, the crank sensor is in the plastic front cover.  You will need
both the cover and the sensor.  The wheel is sandwiched between the
crank timing gear and the harmonic balancer.  The balancer itself
appears to be a little shallower, so I used the '96 version of that
also.  I'm not certain the older one would have interfered, but since I
had the parts handy I used them.  To install the plastic timing cover,
you will need to remove the alignment pegs for the metal timing cover.
These were much more difficult to remove than we thought they should be,
but after awhile with a large set of vise grips they finally came out.
Also, the timing cover has an integral rubber seal, and is meant to be
thrown out when removed.  You can buy a new one as described, but we
ended up re-using the old one since the plastic and seal appeared to be
in good shape.
    As described before, the cam sensor is in the distributer, so that
should not be a problem.
    Other tidbits of the conversion is that the intake manifold
interferes with the TBI serpentine belt setup.  We ended up upgrading to
the '96 serpentine belt setup, so I'm not sure of the old V-belt setup
would have worked.  When we finally get the beast running, I'll try to
put up a complete description of the retrofit on a website.  At this
point, all that's left is the fuel lines and exhaust, but we're having
trouble finding time to finish.

Jake