[Gmecm] Getting rid of False Knock?

Jeff Stevens 9secz
Thu Mar 24 03:42:52 UTC 2005

Folks didn't like my suggestion to mechanically filter the KS by installing it
with lots of teflon tape, so they probably won't like this one either.  I ran
Isky 8005 big block springs and 1.75/1.70 shaft mounted rockers with the stock
LT1 hydraulic roller lifters with zero problems.  The engine ran well on the
street and pushed my 3700# pig Camaro to 9.82/145 at the drag strip.  I doubt
your springs are too stiff for the lifters.

I have heard many stories of the Crane gold self-aligning rockers causing false
knock due to mechanical noise.  I think your 2 choices are to change over to
guide plate rockers or just give up on the knock sensor.  My guess is that any
filtering that snuffs Crane gold noise will render the sensor useless.

When my engine was apart I tested the adjustment range of the stock lifters;
it was 3+ turns before they bottomed out (I had disassembled them for cleaning,
so I knew there was no oil in the chamber).  This leads me to suggest that any
lash setting between zero plus 1/4 and zero plus 1 turn would give identical
results.

HTH...     -LJ

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf Of Cornel Hacke
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:27 PM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] Getting rid of False Knock?

I installed gold race 1.6:1  RR on my LT1 last year and the exact same thing happened to me. {40,000} knocks in no time at all.
Typically around 1700rpm on light acceleration . The problem is still there and I have reset the lash 4 times using every
conceivable method and still no avail! I had also installed SLP headers at the same time. I can hear the RR or lifters when the
engine is running! I had also changed the valve springs (stiffer) to accommodate a larger cam in the future. My only questions left
are : what is the correct lash for stock lifters 0lash +3/4? and can a stiffer valve spring be used with the stock lifters or will
they collapse creating noise?, and how to get rid of the knock knocks? PS.I'm using the stock cam.
Suggestions greatly appreciated!
Cornel