[Gmecm] Looking for info on Vortec engine w/crank sensor

Jake Tucker jktucker
Mon May 2 05:11:55 UTC 2005

	I am still working on upgrading a traditional SBC to the vortec
setup.  The donor was a '96 motor with a cracked block.  The reluctor
fits between the harmonic balancer and the timing cover.  You'll need
the late model timing cover and and pickup, but you probably already
assumed that.  I used the harmonic balancer from the '96 to make sure
the timing marks would line up, but I don't know if the older harmonic
balancer would work or not.  The two balancers were very close to being
the same, but the skirt was a little shorter on the '96 than the older
one.  It may be to clear the sensor wiring, but it may just be a
different casting.  Another note from the conversion was the alignment
pins in the old block had to be removed for the newer timing cover to
fit.  The '96 cover has plastic alignment pegs that are in the timing
cover.  Removing the alignment pins from the block was more difficult
than expected, but eventually they came out.
	The origin of the motor that was used for the vortec setup is
unknown.  It had been rebuilt a few years ago from a giant nickel core,
using the vortec heads.  It does have the oil dipstick on the drivers
side, so if it can accept the setup I would assume any 350 can.  At this
point we're still missing the fuel lines and exhaust, so we haven't
fired it up yet.

Jake