[Gmecm] vortec and ls1 crank pickup differences

Robert Fleming robert.fleming
Mon May 2 20:17:26 UTC 2005

Hypothetically if someone wanted to use the ls1 style computer on a traditional small block would a vortec l31 crank position sensor create a signal compatable with the ls1 ecm?

I know the number of teeth on the trigger wheel is wrong, 4 on the l31 and 24 on the ls1. Looking at the two trigger wheels makes me think it won't work.  The ls1 is two sheetmetal pieces stacked on top of each other.  One wheel is the negative of the other, so where a gap is on one there is a tooth on the other, and vice versa.  A picture can be found at http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/perfpartsjsp/partlist.jsp?cat=9283&section=ep  , its about halfway down the page.   On the vortec it looks just like you would expect a 4 tooth wheel to look.  Round aluminum disc with 4 teeth sticking out at 90* spacing.

So with that said.... what are the chances that the ls1 CKP sensor with its sheetmetal trigger wheel  creates a signal compatible with the vortec l31 CKP sensor with its cast aluminum 4 tooth wheel?

Thanks,
Robert