[Gmecm] vortec and ls1 crank pickup differences

Judd Porter jporter12
Tue May 3 11:59:59 UTC 2005

The vortec trigger wheel is NOT aluminum, it is steel.  The type of sensor
used in the vortec setup would not work with aluminum, as it is all about
magnetism.

There is no way, without serious modification that the LS1 trigger would
work with the vortec setup, or vice versa.  At that point, it would probably
be easier to just fabricate one.

If running the LS1 style CNP ignition setup is your goal, there are other
options, one that I've heard of is the FAST EDIS.  I'm not sure what it
would take to get it to work, but with having the ckank and cam sensor
already there I would think would be of some help!

HTH
JP

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org]On Behalf
Of Robert Fleming
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 4:17 PM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: [Gmecm] vortec and ls1 crank pickup differences

Hypothetically if someone wanted to use the ls1 style computer on a
traditional small block would a vortec l31 crank position sensor create a
signal compatable with the ls1 ecm?

I know the number of teeth on the trigger wheel is wrong, 4 on the l31 and
24 on the ls1. Looking at the two trigger wheels makes me think it won't
work.  The ls1 is two sheetmetal pieces stacked on top of each other.  One
wheel is the negative of the other, so where a gap is on one there is a
tooth on the other, and vice versa.  A picture can be found at
http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/perfpartsjsp/partlist.jsp?cat=9283&section=ep  ,
its about halfway down the page.   On the vortec it looks just like you
would expect a 4 tooth wheel to look.  Round aluminum disc with 4 teeth
sticking out at 90* spacing.

So with that said.... what are the chances that the ls1 CKP sensor with its
sheetmetal trigger wheel  creates a signal compatible with the vortec l31
CKP sensor with its cast aluminum 4 tooth wheel?

Thanks,
Robert