[Gmecm] Ethanol

techmotor techmotor
Fri May 6 18:16:30 UTC 2005

Hi Olle

I think i can help you a little.
I live in Brazil and we have here Ethanol (only) legal street cars since
1978.
So we have a lot of experience using Ethanol.
Cold start is a real problem of Ethanol above 13 degrees cause ethanol vaporize only after this temperature.
To cold start we use gasoline injected into the manifold due to the great energy of it and it?s easier to vaporize.
Another solution is to increase compression ratio.
Normal cars we use 12,7:1 and with some preparation we make it to 14:1.
The cold start become easier.
Another solution, that helps after starting is heating the manifold with water.
Or you can use preheating from diesel to make your manifold hotter.
It will help vaporize Ethanol.
Other solution is hot water at de butterfly.
All this solution will help the motor run clen and with more power due to the ethanol mixture with the air.
If you pull full trottle you will notice tha your manifold will become cooler and this afect the perfect mixture.

Best Regards

Luciano

> My Buick Estate Wagon 455 with TBI setup is now running on ethanol E85 and it works fine. Consumption is higher but the engine feels strong and runs smooth. It?s also nice to drive a car that people take as an environmental disaster and knowing it is completely the opposite way. Cold starting is a problem though if it is under 10 degrees celsius and I wanted to here if someone here is experimenting with this. I have seen some info on preheating but it seems to be much theory and not much practice.
>
> Best regards
>
> Olle

AntiPop-up UOL - ? gr?tis!
http://antipopup.uol.com.br/