[Gmecm] repost

Jay Vessels jay
Sun May 22 17:25:56 UTC 2005

Hi there!

> I would like to know more about converting my car to MAP instead of
> MAF.

 From what I've gleaned from your previous posts, you've got a V8 TPI
F-body, right?

This is a good, straightforward swap that has been outlined here:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/ecm_swap_730/

The repinning isn't difficult -- just take your time.  Mounting the MAP
sensor is trivial, and the hardest part is finding a vacuum port you
want to use.  Again, not a big deal -- though I'd probably avoid the
accessory port that is also connected to the vacuum reservoir.  Hmmm,
anyone ever try that?  Wonder if it matters...

So, you've got about an hour of pulling pins out of one connector shell
and stuffing them into another (the '730 ECM has three connector shells,
the '165 has two, so you will be moving some pins to the third shell and
moving some wires within the old shells).

Beyond that, it's about as plug-and-play as it gets in custom work.
Besides, you end up with the faster 8192 baud interface which is nice.

If you hunt around a bit, you can find a 1227730 ECM with a bit of
harness pigtail included for cheap (eBay).  MEMCAL comes from GM if your
ECM doesn't have the right one, the knock sensor and MAP sensor should
also come from GM (or used if you trust the source), and that's about it
for parts.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 carb. (for now)