[Gmecm] Putting the computer in the engine compartment?

David Allen davida1
Sat Nov 26 16:44:33 UTC 2005

> I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the obvious (or did I just miss it
again?).
> What about using a computer that is DESIGNED to go under the hood?

That's a good idea- probably the most elegant yet.

> Or if a
> different computer can't be used how about using the case from another
> computer that was designed to go under the hood?

What about the board layout and connectors?  The non-sealed conn's are
soldered into the board of the in-car ECM's.  Would it require resoldering
Metripack connectors into the board to change housings to the underhood
style?

> My LT1 has the 8051 under the hood.  It's not waterproof,  but it's at
least
> water resistant,  and there are a number of others that live under the
hood
> with no problems.
>

> Bill

  There is still some merit to an enclosure, at least in a few instances.
It can house fuses, breakers, relays, ignition module, TVP circutit and
other EFI-related stuff along with the ECM.    Everything is in one place
out of sight.  I tend to overengineer things, but in a boat it needs all the
help it can get!
  In a vehicle application, the ECM could be enclosed with the harness
entering the enclosere at the bottom with minimal or no seal.  There would
be very few times any water would be sprayed UP with enough force to enter.
And water won't run uphill through the harness!
  Your idea of changing to a water resistant ECM casing is indeed
interesting.  Has anyone tried this?  How hard is it to get to the EPROM in
these housings?
  Later,
David