[Gmecm] Reluctor / rotor phasing

hooker thooker
Mon Sep 12 02:49:49 UTC 2005

Greetings,

Thanks for letting me join.  I hope to contribute to the list in a positive
way.

I have a Ford I6 that I installed a GM TBI system on.  It is at about the
95% level now, but I am trying to track down a few problems.  Below are two
most pressing questions:

One question I have is the relationship between the reluctor wheel and the
rotor.  In my particular system, when the reluctor is pointing directly at
the pickup coil, the rotor has passed the actual #1 distributor cap point by
10 or 15 degrees.  The rotor plate was fixed by tack welding it while it was
in the non advanced position (it was a vacuum advance type dist, and when I
removed the vacuum pot I pushed the plate away from the vacuum motor, then
tack welded it place).

I could change this by simply grinding the tack welds and repositioning it.
Where should I position it?

Question #2:  In my setup, there are two wires coming from the Ford dist:
Purple and Orange.  I put an O scope on the wires, and when the reluctor
tooth is approaching the coil center, the purple wire is the positive one.
Therefore, I connected the purple wire to the P input of the GM ignition
module, and the orange wire to the N input.

The motor runs pretty well, but when I remove EST connector to time the
engine, it wont stay running.  I set the timing to 0 degrees (having my wife
keep the engine running with the gas pedal), then reconnect the EST, and the
engine perks right up, idles, etc.

Is this normal?

Thanks for your help,
Tracy