[Gmecm] Re: E85 compatible?

Eck, Joel Americas Escalations Joel.Eck
Tue Sep 13 14:50:12 UTC 2005

FWIW, My wife's '98 flex-fuel Voyager handles E85, and there are parts
of the fuel system that use metallic lines; they're non-magnetic, though
- I've got no idea what they're made of. The tank's plastic, though.
Beyond that, I thought that ethanol was fairly friendly to metals and
synthetic rubber; compared to methanol, anyway. Go ahead and flame me
now...

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On
Behalf Of gmecm-request at diy-efi.org
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 23:36
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Gmecm Digest, Vol 7, Issue 9

Message: 8
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:35:25 -0500
From: "SubZero350 at att.net" <subzero350 at att.net>
Subject: [Gmecm] Re: E85 compatible?
To: <gmecm at diy-efi.org>

----- Original Message -----

> on the e85 vehicles that i am familiar with gm and
> dodge the entire fuel supply is plastic or composite
> they have a flex fuel sensor that measures the amount
> of ethanol and the temp to determine the amount
> ignition timing, fuel mixture etc the fuel injectors
> are very different in which the orings are not sold seperately and
> made from a material to deal with ethanol along with the injector
> itself (denso) as far as tuning if you can get the fuel system to
> live with the ethanol fuel lines, injectors, etc and
> possibly install a heated o2 sensor you will be able
> to work what bugs out that you have also it will need
> more flow to get the the a/f ratio right.
> terry

Thanks for the info, Terry.  Well I have my 1987 Pontiac Fiero in which
have installed a 3800 Series 2 Turbocharged that I would like to convert
exclusively run E85 in.  I recently purchased and installed Delphi 42.5
lb/hr injectors which the vendor who sells them claims they are 100%
compatible with alternative fuels (i.e. Methanol) so I think they should
be
ok to run with E85.  I am running a Walbro307 fuel pump which I am not
quite
sure is 100% ethanol compatible but it uses stainless steel components.
know the rubber lines and O-rings throughout the fuel system will need
to be
changed out.  I guess the most pressing question I have is: Will the
metal
lines and fuel tank as well as the plastic baffles in the fuel tank hold
up
to E85?  If not will an additive such as Marvel Mystery Oil help?

I already have a heated O2 sensor and the means to increase fuel
delivery
and adjust A/F ratio in the chip if needed.

Again, thanks for the info.

-ryan

End of Gmecm Digest, Vol 7, Issue 9