[Gmecm] Vortec swap info needed

Ne14RoxCJ ne14roxcj
Tue Sep 13 20:40:35 UTC 2005

A friend of mine is having problems with his rock crawler. He built the
buggy and put a Vortec 5.7l in it without any smog equipment, no AC, and a
TH400 trans. Whoever he bought the engine and wiring from just hacked off
the wires that weren't needed. I tried to hook up the Snap-on scanner only
to find out that the data wires were also cut out of the DLC connector. The
problems he is having is a lack of power. It idles great and in low range it
crawl's fine (a geo engine would crawl great with the 4:1 t-case and 5.13
gears). But when it gets revved a little, it starts cutting out. I know that
we need to properly cap these un-used wires and I expect we will need to
have the ECM flashed to get rid of the smog stuff and whatever else is not
used. I haven't dealt with these later model systems yet, so can anyone tell
me what else I'll need to do to make this a V-8 again instead of the 4-cyl
that it's acting like. I know that getting the DLC put back together and
looking at the data is the first thing, but what else needs done if
anything?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Beau