[Gmecm] Vortec swap info needed

Darryl M Gilbert dgilbert78
Tue Sep 13 22:49:09 UTC 2005

Hello: what is the ECM type??
Darryl..

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:40:35 -0500 "Ne14RoxCJ" <ne14roxcj at comcast.net>
writes:
A friend of mine is having problems with his rock crawler. He built the
buggy and put a Vortec 5.7l in it without any smog equipment, no AC, and
a TH400 trans. Whoever he bought the engine and wiring from just hacked
off the wires that weren?t needed. I tried to hook up the Snap-on scanner
only to find out that the data wires were also cut out of the DLC
connector. The problems he is having is a lack of power. It idles great
and in low range it crawl?s fine (a geo engine would crawl great with the
4:1 t-case and 5.13 gears). But when it gets revved a little, it starts
cutting out. I know that we need to properly cap these un-used wires and
I expect we will need to have the ECM flashed to get rid of the smog
stuff and whatever else is not used. I haven?t dealt with these later
model systems yet, so can anyone tell me what else I?ll need to do to
make this a V-8 again instead of the 4-cyl that it?s acting like. I know
that getting the DLC put back together and looking at the data is the
first thing, but what else needs done if anything?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Beau