[Gmecm] Vortec swap info needed

Jake Tucker jktucker
Wed Sep 14 05:01:07 UTC 2005

Beau,
	I disagree that you want a manual trans bin.  The ECM does
communicate with the 4L60E or 4L80E, but if that communication isn't
done right I think it just throws codes.  I have been helping a friend
put a vortec into an '84 Suburban with a TH400, so hopefully next week
I'll have some more information.  In his case, we started with an auto
trans bin, and plan on disabling the codes.  I bought TunerCat's tuner
software for it, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.  I talked
with Speartech early on in this project, and they told me it would be no
problem to remove trans control from the software for use with the
TH400.  Their quote was reasonable, at $100-$200 as I recall.  They
required a program to start from, and as I recall (This was a year ago)
they wanted the automatic version.
	As for what is causing the problem, I'm just speculating since
I've never tried to look the code.  However, given other software I have
some experience from, I'd wonder about whether the speed sensor is
hooked up or the emissions.  If the speed sensor is not connected, then
the ECM may not allow it to develop full power.  I hope it is not
emissions, since I don't want to install cats on the '84.
	Another possibility is whether the fuel pump is up to spec.
I've read a lot about troubleshooting these engines, and they need 60
psi at the unit or it just won't work.  I've done another conversion
with a '97 engine into a '95 truck, and we had trouble at first with the
fuel pressure.  The fuel pump relay was bad, so it would only run while
the motor was cranking (oil pressure switch).  Anyway, while we were
cranking we would get absolutely nothing until the guage hit 56 psi.
Even when it was at 50 psi, the engine would not fire.  As soon as it
hit ~56 psi, it would fire right up and run like a dream.  If your pump
couldn't provide the pressure at higher RPM's, then it would likely run
poorly then.  If you have a fuel pressure gauge that goes up to 60 psi,
check out the fuel pressure and rule that out.

Jake