[Gmecm] Vortec swap info needed

William Lucke william.lucke
Wed Sep 14 13:45:50 UTC 2005

I believe that the PCM can check for opens and shorts on the shift solenoids.
It looks at VSS, of course. It looks at VSS and RPM together and compares
that relationship to what it knows the gear ratios of the transmission are.
It uses this information to make sure that the transmission is in the gear
the PCM is commanding and isn't slipping. If it thinks the transmission is
slipping, it can reduce engine power dramatically.
The 4L80E, 4L85E and 4T80E have input shaft speed sensors. The PCM can use
these to determine convertor clutch status and more closely monitor
transmission slippage. The 60 and 65 series transmissions do not have these
sensors, however.

Will